Your Complete Guide to Raising Money and Getting Funded
The Sources, The Process, The Method and The Timing of Getting Funded Demystified
Get Funded! is the complete guide to seeking and getting funding that all entrepreneurs look for and seldom find.
Get Funded!is your roadmap to finding the funding you need to succeed, equipping you with the knowledge you need to attract potential investors. This no-nonsense volume is a must-read for any entrepreneur, whether you're starting a new venture or already have an established business. You will need funding as your company grows-and you must know how to find funding at each growth stage.
This book will teach you everything you need in order to:
- Make your startup attractive to investors
- Find the right investors
- Create a presentation and executive summary that gets investors' attentions
- Know how to negotiate the best terms for your funding
- Plus, you will know how to handle the "surprises" that are sure to arise when you are seeking funding
This book explains:
- The 12-step process of getting funded-what to expect at each step and how long it typically takes.
- Angel investors and venture capitalists-what they are, how they make money, and how you should approach them.
- Negotiating with investors-which clauses of investors' term sheets are most important to negotiate.
Get Funded! is divided into three sections:
- Section 1 describes your various funding options and identifies the most appropriate choices for your startup's stage.
- Section 2 explains how to make yourself attractive to investors-what they are searching for and how to present your company.
- Section 3 demystifies the process of getting funded, outlining each step in detail so that you can sail through it confidently and smoothly.
Bonus features include a sample executive summary (crucial to a successful funding campaign) and a list of hundreds of angel investors and VC firms throughout the United States. These extras will make finding suitable investors in your area far easier.
Types of Investors
I explain your funding options. Not every investor will be interested in your company. Certain investor type will be a better match for you, depending on your company's stage of development. In Get Funded! I outline the different types of investors so that you know whom to approach and when to approach them.
I describe each type of investor in detail. Different types of investors have different motivations and interests. A "one-size-fits-all" approach won't work. I help you understand what makes each type of investor tick, so you can customize a funding strategy that will attract the investors most likely to take your venture to the next level.
Understanding the Term Sheet
Understanding an investor's term sheet is one of the most daunting pieces of the funding process. Get Funded! will help you navigate them by explaining:
- The breakdown of an investor's typical term sheet, which you will receive when an investor is ready to commit to your company. A term sheet is a complicated document.
- I show you what they contain and cut through the details to reveal which aspects deserve your focus.
- Which sections of a term sheet you must negotiate. You can't negotiate every item on your term sheet. (If you try, potential investors may run away!) I explain what's important and what you should leave alone.
What happens after you receive funding?
Your investors won't just drop off multi- million dollar checks at your house. I explain the process of moving investor money into your account. I also tell you what your investors expect of you once the money is in
A lifetime of knowledge, packed into 122 powerful pages
I've packed two decades of entrepreneurial wisdom into Get Funded! During my own career, I have raised over $70 million in startup funding, from both VCs and angel investors. I have also used bank venture debt and several other instruments to finance my startups. As well,
I have advised over 1,000 entrepreneurs and dozens of companies during their funding phases. I also teach at one of the top business schools in the world on this very topic. No abstract theory here-I understand where the funding-process rubber meets the road.
This is knowledge that will prove to be priceless as you go about raising money for your new venture. It will save you countless hours by helping you focus on the things you really need to know. It will also save you a ton of aggravation and frustration, because you won’t have to figure everything out for yourself.